There are some women who either cross their due date or want to make sure the baby is delivered early. For both of these options they start to induce labour. The reason why pregnant women start inducing labour is because it gets really uncomfortable for them after a point. Your doctor would ask you to induce your labour only according to your pregnancy dates. If you have crossed your due date or you or the baby is having some problem. It’s always safe to consult your doctor before doing anything when it comes to pregnancy. In this blog, we are going to see ways you can induce labour and why it is important to use this technique.
Always remember all the things that are mentioned below are not 100 percent accurate. Doctors and studies have said that there is no proof of these things to be 100 percent true. The things that are mentioned below have been said repeatedly by everyone to do if you are looking out for ways you can induce labour.
- Exercise : Exercise is very important whether you’re pregnant or not. In this case it is all the way more important as if you’re going to be active then your baby is going to be active and will come out. The best way to exercise would be walking. It will increase your heart rate and keep you active in one way or another. There are so many exercises for pregnant women which you should definitely try out if you’re looking out for ways you can induce labour.
- Sex : Having sex is safe during the end of your thrid trimester. There are times when the couple dosen’t want to have sex during the pregnancy and that’s completely normal. You can easily skip this part and try out the other things mentioned. If you are fine with having sex during the pregnancy to induce labour then it’s good as there are various reasons as to why it’s good for pregnancy.
- Castor oil : Castor oil has a lot of benefits for our body and some of them are included during pregnancy too. Castor oil intake is good during pregnancy as it activates prostaglandin release. This can make sure the cervix is ripen which will in turn help you start labour. It’s always safe to consult your doctor on the intake. Too much is not good for you. This doesn’t work for everyone. A study says that only few women have gone into labour after trying. Just like it’s mentioned above, check with your doctor before you try it.
- Acupuncture : You would have heard many of your family, friends or would have otherwise read it on the net. That acupuncture works but do you know why they say to try acupuncture to induce labour? There is no accurate study that can tell why is it good for labour. But some of the common answers you can find is that if you have crossed your due date then it’s not going to work but if you haven’t and are still 40 weeks or less than that then it can be helpful but there is not enough information on this.
- Food : Just like acupuncture you would have heard many people asking you to eat spicy food but to be honest it’s not connected. There’s no study that can say that a spicy food will help you with labour. But there are other food items that are said to be helpful to induce labour such as red raspberry leaf tea, dates, pineapple and eggplant. There are so many theories as to why they’re good and bad but before you intake anything make sure to consult your doctor as there can be a chance that you or the baby might be allergic to it.
- Nipple stimulation : Niple stimulation is yet another very famous technique said by many to try to induce your labour. The reason why nipple stimulation is asked is because when the nipples are stimulated. It’s said that the oxytocin is released from the pituitary gland. It works better when the woman has a favourable cervix. This means, when it’s softer like more dilated it has more effect. This can be possible with the help of a breast pump or manually.
- Essential oils : You might have not heard many people talking about this but there are times when a doctor or nurse has suggested it. The ones that are frequently asked to use are rosemary. It’s good to induce labour but also during the labour to make sure the contractions are steady and strong. If your doctor hasn’t mentioned it and you’re planning on using it because you read it somewhere then please don’t do that. It’s always safe and best to ask your doctor because you never know what can cause reactions for your or the baby. Also make sure you’re using a really good quality and a verified brand as that;s the most important thing.